It’s easy to forget that back in 2006, MLB pitcher Curt Schilling started up a video game studio with some pretty marquee names to work on two projects. Tasked with developing both a single-player and an MMORPG was New York Times best-selling writer R.A. Salvatore, Spawn creator, Todd McFarlane, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion lead designer Ken Rolston.
Unfortunately, 38 Studios ultimately ended in bankruptcy before completion of their ambitious MMORPG, but luckily it was after the release of their single-player RPG, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. The title received critical reception for its customizable gameplay and intriguing story and would go on to sell over a million copies worldwide.
After purchasing the rights to the franchise in 2018, THQ Nordic set out to remaster the intriguing RPG and has set a release date of September 8 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The release will be both digital and physical and includes the following highlights as per the publisher:
- Build the ideal character for the most intense combat, choosing from a countless combinations of skills, abilities, weapons and pieces of armor
- The revolutionary Destiny system allows you to continuously evolve your character class to your style of play
- Seamlessly integrate magical and melee attacks as you take on scores of enemies in grand fight sequences and finish them off with brutal Fateshift kills
- Extend your experience in Amalur with all DLC from the original release, from Teeth of Naros to Legend of Dead Kel and more!
- Hundreds of hours of RPG play await! Travel from the vibrant city of Rathir, to the vast region of Dalentarth, and the grim dungeons of the Brigand Hall Caverns as you uncover the secrets of Amalur!
- Explore deep levels of lore in a universe steeped in 10,000 years of fiction created by New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore
- Enjoy countless side quests rich in political intrigue, romance, sinister magic, and even whimsy – all central to the primary mission
- Rescue a world torn apart by a vicious war and control the keys to immortality as the first warrior ever to be resurrected from the grips of death
- Explore a sprawling game world hailed as having “more content than any single-player game deserves!”
- Improved graphical fidelity in Re-Reckoning